Tuesday, November 2, 2010

did you vote?

i voted. i love voting. i may be a little weird.

i went before work and it wasn't too busy because i don't go to work tooooo early. it was brisk and the leaves were heavy in the church parking lot. i sort of bounded into the cafeteria of the little church on the corner with the snappy sunday signs, that say things like, contrary to popular belief, i love everyone--God.

voting is festive. the people freezing out in front with last minute pamphlets for me are smiling and peppy. the neighbors who rarely give me a passing glance return my hello and follow up with a good old-fashioned "how do you do?" there is giggling in the line and snappy banter with the election workers.

it is fun, but it feels equally sacred. after i sign in and i get into line for the machine, there is an understood nod between me and the person ahead of me. there might be a hushed whisper, but it's very serious business at that point.

taking my place in front of the machine--it's like getting my driver's license all over again. everyone double checks to make sure that we are doing it right. i don't want to screw up! many of us linger to read everything completely so that we feel sure we understand. there is the sound of the electronic "tabs" while i hold my breath.

then the machine asks if i want to submit my ballot? saying yes is a most empowering moment. you, i, we get to voice our choice--something that not everyone has a right to.

we may not see the outcome we individually hoped for, but hitting submit says something. for me, it said, i am an American and i care. i care enough to speak my mind.

i voted.

No comments:

Post a Comment